Isla Culebra – [ The Last Virgin ]


Culebra’s History

Isla Culebra (Spanish pronunciation: [kuˈleβɾa], “Snake Island”) is an island-municipality of Puerto Rico originally called Isla Pasaje and Isla de San Ildefonso.
Culebra is a pristine little landmass, and is located approximately 17 miles (27 km) east of the Puerto Rican mainland, 12 miles (19 km) west of St. Thomas and
9 miles (14 km) north of Vieques. Culebra is spread over 5 wards and Culebra (Dewey) Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city).
The island is also known as Isla Chiquita (“Little Island”) and Última Virgen (“Last Virgin”, reflecting its position at the end of the Virgin islands archipelago).

Culebra is an archipelago consisting of the main island and twenty-three smaller islands that lie off its coast. The largest of these cays are:
Culebrita to the east, Cayo Norte to the northeast, and Cayo Luis Peña and Cayo Lobo to the west.The smaller islands include Cayo Ballena,
Cayos Geniqui, Arrecife Culebrita, Las Hermanas, El Mono, Cayo Lobito, Cayo Botijuela, Alcarraza, Los Gemelos, and Piedra Steven. Islands in
the archipelago are arid, meaning they have no rivers or streams. All of the fresh water is brought from Puerto Rico via Vieques. Culebra is
characterized by an irregular topography resulting in a long intricate shoreline. The island is approximately 7 by 5 miles (11 by 8 km). The
coast is marked by cliffs, sandy coral beaches and mangrove forests. Inland, the tallest point on the island is Mount Resaca,  elevation of 650 ft. (198 m), followed by Balcón Hill, with an elevation of 541 ft. (164.9 m). Ensenada Honda is the largest harbor on the island and is considered to be the most hurricane secure harbor in the Caribbean. There are also several lagoons on the island, like Corcho, Flamenco, and Zoní. Culebrita Island also has a lagoon called Molino. Almost 80% of the island’s area is volcanic rock from the Cretaceous period.

Wildlife Refuge Areas

These small islands are all classified as nature reserves and several
nature reserves also exist on the main island. One of the oldest bird
sanctuaries in United States territory was established in Culebra on
February 27, 1909 by President Teddy Roosevelt. The Culebra Island
Giant Anole (Anolis roosevelti, Xiphosurus roosevelti [according to
ITIS]) is an extremely rare or possibly extinct lizard of the Anolis
genus. It is native to Culebra Island and was named in honor of
Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., who was the governor of Puerto Rico at that
time. There are bird sanctuaries on many of the islands as well as
turtle nesting sites on Culebra. Leatherback, green sea and hawksbill
sea turtles use the beaches for nesting. The archipelagos bird
sanctuaries are home to brown boobies, laughing gulls, sooty terns,
bridled terns and noddy terns. An estimated 50,000 sea birds find their
way back to the sanctuaries every year. These nature reserves
comprise 1,568 acres (6.35 km2) of the archipelago’s 7,000 acres
(28 km2). These nature reserves are protected by the United States
Fish and Wildlife Service. Culebra has no natural large mammals.
However, a population of White-tailed deer introduced in 1966 can be
[ Images from Wikipedia.com the free encyclopedia ] found on the eastern region of the island.

Most beaches are only accessible by hiking or boat. Of the smaller islands, only Culebrita and Luis Peña permit visitors and can be accessible via water taxis
from Culebra. Hiking and nature photography are encouraged on the small islands. However, activities which would disturb the nature reserves are
prohibited, e.g. Camping, Littering and Motor Vehicles. Camping, however, is allowed on Playa Flamenco throughout the year. Reservations are recommended.
Culebra is also a popular destination for scuba divers because of the many reefs throughout the archipelago and the crystal clear waters.

Beach Listing of Culebra

Flamenco Beach

Ranked # 2 in the top 10 most exotic beaches in the world

Playa Carlos Rosario [ Beach ]……………………….Playa de Cascajo [ Beach ]

Playa Brava [ Beach ]……………………………………..Playa Las Vacas [ Beach ]

Playa Larga [ Beach ]……………………………………..Playa Pueblo Español

Playa Punta Soldado [ Beach ]………………………..Playa Resaca [ Beach ]

Playa Tamarindo [ Beach ]……………………………..Playa Tortuga [ Beach ]

Playa Zoni [ Beach ]………………………………………..Playa Melones [ Beach ]

 

Some sources claim that Christopher Columbus was the first European to arrive at the island during his second voyage in 1493. It is believed that the
island was populated by Carib Indians during the colonization, After Agüeybaná and Agüeybaná II led the Taíno rebellion of 1511, Taíno Indians from
the main island sought refuge on Culebra and allied with Caribs to launch random attacks at the island estates.

Christopher Columbus Second Voyage

After that, the island was left abandoned for centuries. During the era of Spanish commerce through the Americas, it was used as a refuge for pirates, as
well as local fishermen and sailors. Some sources mention an Englishman named Stevens, who was put in charge of Culebra in 1875 by the Spanish crown to
protect the island from foreigners.

Culebra was then settled by Cayetano Escudero Sanz on October 27, 1880. This first settlement was called San Ildefonso, to honor the Bishop of Toledo,
San Ildefonso de la Culebra. Two years later, on September 25, 1882, construction of the Culebrita Lighthouse began. It was completed on February 25, 1886
which made it the oldest operating lighthouse in the Caribbean until 1975, when the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard finally closed the facility.

In 1902, Culebra was integrated as a part of Vieques. One year later, on June 26, President Theodore Roosevelt established the Culebra Naval Reservation.
A bird refuge was established on February 27, 1909. In 1939, the U.S. Navy began to use the Culebra Archipelago as a gunnery and bombing practice site.
This was done in preparation for the United States’ involvement in World War II. In 1971 the people of Culebra began protests, known as the Navy-Culebra
protests, for the removal of the U.S. Navy from Culebra. Four years later, in 1975, the use of Culebra as a gunnery range ceased and all operations were
moved to Vieques.

Culebra was declared an independent island municipality in 1917. The first democratically elected government was put into place in 1960. Prior to this, the government of Puerto Rico appointed delegates to administer the island.


In past centuries, agriculture was the main source of economy in Culebra. At some point, the following
products were produced and exported from the island: wood, turtle oil, shells, fish, tobacco, livestock,
pigs, goats, cheese, plantains, pumpkins, beans, yams, garlic, corn, tomatoes, oranges, coconut, cotton,
melons, mangrove bark, coal, and turkey. Nowadays, Culebra’s main source of revenue comes from
construction, and tourism.

Culebra was the last bit of Puerto Rico to change hands from pirates to colonists, Flamenco Beach has soft
white sand and clear water; it’s nearly deserted, yet it does offer basic amenities. Culebra has been a
bird refuge since 1909 and is protected by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The must-see attraction is
the National Wildlife Refuge, which covers most of the island plus 23 surrounding ones. Together they
encompass subtropical dry forest, mangroves, brush and grasslands. Endangered sea turtles nest here,
and the endangered Culebra giant anole, a lizard, originated here. It is estimated that 60,000 sooty
terns nest on the Peninsula Flamenco. The island is also a popular spot for snorkeling and fishing.

The Spanish Crown determined that the land of Culebra was public property except for the areas reserved
for use of the central government. When the Hispanoamerican war was resolved in 1898 and peace was
made between Spain and the United States the land was turned over to the United States government
with the promise that property titles given by the Spanish government would be honored. Titled land
would not be confiscated by the Military Government established in Puerto Rico. These agreements were
reached in the Paris treaty and by general order number 1 of the United States of Puerto Rico’s
Military Government.

In 1901 the US Military arrived in Culebra to establish an area for the military to use as a firing range
and to hold marine exercises. At that time they took over the town of San Ildefonso and re-established the
persons living in San Ildefonso to other areas of the island. This was in violation of the Paris agreements.

In 1894, written reports indicated that there were 519 residents living in five communities: San Ildefonso,
Flamenco, San Isidero, Playa Sardinas I y II, and Frayle. There were 84 houses built, 24 of them in the
San Ildefonso community.

The majority of persons settled in the Playa Sardinas I and II area. Don Pedro Marques renamed this area Dewey after the famous Admiral Dewey, a naval
war hero in the Philippine Islands. In 1902 Admiral Dewey commanded the first troops in the Caribbean.

The governing body of Puerto Rico assigned delegates for Culebra from 1880 through 1929. In 1930 these appointees were given the title of Mayor. These appointments were for a period of two years. The delegates as well as the Mayors also had other official functions such as, Post Office Administrator,
Customs, Internal Revenue, Justice of the Peace, School Director and other functions as the administration seemed necessary. In 1960 it became law to
elect the Mayor and Municipal Legislature of Culebra. These positions were for a four year term of office. The Municipal Legislature consists of five
members, four from the majority party, and one from the minority party.

According to the 2010 Census, the population of Culebra is 1,818. This makes the island the municipality with the smallest population in Puerto Rico.

Culebra Snorkeling Center LOGO     culebra kayaking center LOGO     Culebra Dive Center  LOGO     Culebra Paddleboarding Center LOGO     Culebra Surfing Center LOGO     Culebra Fishing Center LOGO

Posted Sunday, 11 November 2012 by Culebra Snorkeling and Dive Center

%d bloggers like this: